Peace

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Peace

A year ago we were attacked, and learned in a very dramatic way that we have enemies. People who would like to destroy us. The scriptures teach us the relationship between peace and righteousness. As we look to have peace in our personal lives, we must be righteous, exercise faith doing those things which protect our peace.

“Where can I turn for Peace?”

It is very significant that when Jesus came forth from the tomb and appeared to his disciples, his first greeting was “Peace be unto you” Peace – not passion, not personal possessions, not personal accomplishments, not even happiness – but peace is one of the greatest blessings a man can receive from God.

When calming the ravaging sea – it was “Peace, be still”.

“My peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you.”

“Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Runners need rest. Hikers need rest. Workers need rest. Even the Lord called for rest. Why? Because we need to be still on occasion to allow our bodies, our spirits to regain strength and reflect on from where they get their power.

“The world gives tribulation. I give you peace. Be not afraid, for I have overcome the world”

“Men may yearn for peace, cry for peace, and work for peace, but there will be no peace until they follow the path pointed out by the Living Christ.” David O McKay

Peace will come and be maintained only through the triumph of the principles of peace, and by the consequent subjection of the enemies of peace, which are hatred, envy, illgotten gain, the exercise of unrighteous dominion of men. Yielding to these evils brings misery to the individual, unhappiness to the home, war among the nations.” David O McKay

“The Lord has command us to love all men, including our enemies. He expects us to be peacemakers. He asks us to work out a reconciliation in a Christlike manner with those with whom we have difficulties or misunderstnainds. It is his will that we should tolerate abuse rather than retaliate in a spirit of anger. It is better to turn the other cheek, to go the extra mile, to give our coat and our cloak also, than to offend” – O Leslie Stone, “…or be offended.”

Christ brought “The Good News” of his resurrection. He restored the “Great News” of eternal life to those who covenant with him and keep their covenants.

We must seek for it, for it will not come to us. Why seek for it? It is the key to communication with God – he speaks to the recesses of peace – be still and know that I am God.


When we see god in each other, we will be able to live together in peace. Mother Theresa

Peace is not made with friends. It is made with enemies. “Yitzak Robin

Peace is our gift to each other ‘Elie Wiesel;

‘Someday when we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of Love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.’ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict. – Dorothy Thompson

What did the Lord teach about this? What are the creative alternatives which he espoused? Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be known as the children of God
Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who despitefully use you. To those who strike you on one cheek, offer the other also, and from those who take away your cloak, do not withhold your coat as well. Give to everyone who begs from you, and of those who take away your goods, do not ask of them again. And as you wish that others would do to you, do ye also to them.”


Peace is a state of calm, or knowing that all is well,

We live in a society saturated in stimulation. From the world’s first cup of coffee in the morning, to the barrage of sex-appealing advertising and violent action – our minds and bodies are constantly driven to stimulation. We often equate success in business or family life not to results, but to busy-ness..

Wendy and I were walking the other day. Normally Wendy runs alone, and I walk alone. It’s too depressing having a spouse who can out-distance you. But on this particular day, she decided to walk part of my route with me and chit-chat. And as we passed a certain house a dog started barking at us. Wendy was surprised at the Dog, and I said, ‘what? haven’t you noticed that dog before when you’re running by this way?’ And she said, ‘no, I’ve never noticed him. But that doesn’t surprise me, because you notice a lot less when you’re running than when you’re walking.’

It occurred to me how true this is. That when you stop rushing about, you see things, and sense things which are unknown to those who fly by. I’ve noticed the same thing when we drive on a trip somewhere, rather than when I fly on an airplane. When I drive, I notice the hotels, the roads, the valleys and gullies, the people, the signs, the churches, the other people, the rest stops, etc. But when I fly, I don’t notice anything. I kind of ball up into a cocoon for 2 or more hours, hoping that the trip will come to a quick stop – well, I don’t mean quick stop like fall,…

The point? Our lives are rushing by. The universal cry of anguish between everyone in this modern day seems to be “I’m too busy”, “I’d like to come by to visit, but I’m too busy.” Or, “I would like to help out, but I can’t, I’m too busy” or “Bishop, I would love to serve in this calling, but I’m too busy.” To busy doing what? To busy keeping our covenants? Or building up the kingdom, Or are we too busy finding our place in the world?

Thank heaven for a Father who understood us well enough to give us a day of rest. A day to pause from our daily work, our daily busy-ness, to stop – to walk as it were – and see what is really important. To rest…just to rest.

Through the history of the world, the lord has repeated “Be still and know that I am God.”

Why do we need to be still? He speaks to us, ‘spirit to spirit’ through a still small voice – a whisper as it were to the very peace chambers of our soul, and if we aren’t tuned into peace, we will miss the messages he leaves for us there.

What can disturb our peace? What can cause us to miss the messages he leaves us in the peace chambers of our hearts?

Wickedness destroys peace.
Alma 38: 8 And it came to pass that I was athree•days and three nights in the most bitter bpain and canguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a dremission of my sins. But behold, I did cry unto him and I did find peace to my soul.

Noise destroys peace.

Busy-ness – distraction – complexity - destroys peace


War with others destroys peace.

What can we do which will build peace in our lives?


The music and television programming of today can if we let it, fill our minds and hearts with feelings of angst, violence, distrust, conflict and wickedness. Floating through our airwaves right now is the antithesis of peace. We can choose to let it keep floating out there without tuning into it or we can let it into our homes and hearts and destroy our peace. We will be drawn to it like flies to a bug zapper.

Advertising of all kinds is designed to make people feel satisfied with what they have, and who they are. If we pay attention to the advertising that swarms around us in every aspect of our lives, we will feel a compelling need to give up what we have, and move on to something ‘better’ which becomes

Simplification is key.
The simple are most likely to become whole

Where?
Temple teaches us who we are – and where we are going.
Family History work teaches us where we came from
Church Service teaches us humility, patience, and opens a window of great people around us.
Obedience to gospel teaches us we can follow a path – we can do it.

0 comments: