Thursday, April 3, 2008
1. Christ the greatest of all, the most powerful of all, is also the most humble of all…and when we are like him, we will be blessed by him.
- Christ did nothing of himself – he had no personal agenda, no personal glory to gain - but he did only that which he saw his father do and what his Father commanded him to do
-
- He was born of a virgin – one who would be accused of not having proper jewish parentage.
- He was born homeless – in a stable.
- He was born amongst the most despised of nations in the known world – a nation that was under.
- He was considered a traitor, a madman, and a criminal worthy of death.
- It was humility, which gave Christ the strength to endure these trials – and to proceed with the Atonement.
- At the time of his greatest suffering, a time when he had the power to call down legions of angels to destroy his enemies, instead, he knelt in prayer, and pleaded with his Father to help him do what was right, “if it by thy will, let this cup pass from me, nevertheless, Thy will, not mine be done”
- He pleaded with his Father to help him do His will.
- Another Example of Christ’s humility was when he drew upon the scriptures to help him endure the temptations of Satan.
- Rather than give into the temptation to call down legions of angels to protect him or to overcome Satan’s evil lusts, Or rather than draw on his own knowledge and his own strength to overcome Satan, He drew upon the scriptures for strength and with each temptation Christ said, “…it is written.” “It is written that a man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God…it is written thou shalt not tempt the lord thy god…and finally, “it is written, thou shalt worship the lord thy God and him only shalt thou serve.” Humbly, he didn’t depend on his own strength to battle the temptation, but He used the words of the prophets to fight his battles.
- Like the Savior, Humility gives us the strength to listen with a willing and desirous heart to obey even when the commandments are difficult… And once we are moving to obey, we can act with boldness for we are not operating on our own, but we are called to act by one whose strength we can draw upon.
-
27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness•. I bgive• unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble• themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak• things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27
o When we see our weakness and recognize our need for strength we humble ourselves before the Lord and ask for his strength to carry on. As we do so – we will always be blessed.
o
- A few weeks ago as I met with a brother who was successfully overcoming terrible temptations, I asked him how he continually does what’s right even when his addiction constantly eating at him. He told me that when he feels temptation starting to form in his mind, he finds a place to kneel and he begs the lord to save him from temptation. And he said “the Lord answers my prayer – every time.” His humility is what gives him the strength to do the impossible.
-
2. Principle of why we should seek humility – is because The Lord loves the humble, and uses them to do his work.
o 13 Wherefore, I call upon the weak• things of the world, those who are unlearned• and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;
o 14 And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield• and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies• shall be under their feet; and I will let fall• the sword• in their behalf, and by the fire• of mine indignation will I preserve them.
o 15 And the poor• and the meek shall have the gospel preached unto them, and they shall be looking• forth for the time of my coming, for it is nigh• at hand—
- In a meeting I recently had with Elder Bateman, he pointed out a remarkable pattern which happens all over the world. He said that missionaries teach and baptize the poor. But within 1,2,3 generations, what we see is that they are no longer poor. They have means. They have opportunity. They have responsibility in their communities. How is this? It’s because of the teachings of Jesus Christ, and the humility of the people to do what the Lord wants. They seek to please the Lord for that is all they have. But as they please him, they find their own capacities increase and their children getting opportunities which would not have been possible without the gospel.
- Why would the Lord use young men and women to represent himself to the world as missionaries? Because the world doesn’t honor 19 year old young men. But the humble will see them for who they are – representatives of Christ.
- Why would the Lord have 70, 80, and 90 year old men to head his Church on the earth? Because the world doesn’t honor the aged, but the humble will recognize them for who they are – Prophets of God.
- Our father has shown consistently that he is not interested in using the powerful of the world to build his church. He is interested in using the humble to build his kingdom – and then none will have wherewith to boast. The humble will recognize what is happening and will be drawn into service. And then eventually all will know, it was Christ working through the weak of the world that his work is done.
3. Why be humble? The Lord blesses only the humble with his greatest blessings
o As I interview people going to the temple for the first time, I’ll frequently point out to them, that the Lord reserves this greatest gift – the endowment and the sealing blessings to those who are humble.
o He doesn’t allow people to get access to these great temple gifts because they are rich, or because they are politically connected, or because they can do some great thing for the church. They don’t get these blessings because they are educated or intelligent, or beautiful, or because they have celebrity. They could be rich enough to build their own temple and still not get access to these gifts? Why? Because he reserves his greatest gifts for the humble. For those humble followers who would sacrifice all for him. For those who will inherit the earth.
o Another great blessing we can receive is to understand the mysteries of godliness – and when we are humble we are prepared to receive those things.
- Alma taught this principle when he said – in chapter 12:
o 10 And therefore, he that will harden• his heart, the same receiveth the lesser• portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given• the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.
o 11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion• of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains• of hell.
o
- One of the most inspiring missionary homecoming talks I have heard came from Scott Anderson of the 4th Ward. He shared a story which helped me understand the concept that the Lord blesses the humble to understand his will. As a young man, Scott had decided he wanted to go on a mission to Spain. He just knew that is where he would be sent. He studied Spanish in school. And so when his call came to serve in Malaga Spain, it was a sheer delight and a confirmation of what he had always believed. However, a few months before leaving to go into the mission home, he was diagnosed with some health problems which would have made it dangerous to leave the country. His call was changed from Spain to Missiouri – independence Missouri. He was shocked and frustrated. He said that for the first 10-12 months of his mission he was frustrated and angry. Wondering, why this had happened to him. On one blessed night, he was working with his Zone Leader, and his Zone leader asked him why he was so challenged. So Elder Anderson shared his story with the Zone Leader. The ZL then said something that Humbled him and which made him put himself back into the Lord’s hands. He said, “Elder, I don’t know why your mission was changed. But I do know that he sent you here, to missiouri, to do something, and you best find out what that is.” He then read to Scott this verse from Proverbs which turned Scotts mission around and made the rest of his mission a true success.
o Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise• in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
- Scott was humbled, and in humility he was able to give up the baggage he had been carrying, and trust that the Lord knew what he was doing in sending him to Independence.
4. Humility is a principle of Peace and unity not of hatred and enmity.
- President Benson said “the central feature of pride is enmity – enmity toward God and enmity toward our fellowman. Enmity is hatred toward, hostility to, or a state of opposition. It is the power by which Satan wishes to reign over us.”. The proud turn every man into an adversary by competing and comparing with them. They seek to compete with God – seeking for counsel their own wisdom, instead of the wisdom of God.
- If there is one thing that describes the day we live in, is that the world feels powerful enough to tell God what is right and wrong. They seek to counsel God on issues as basic as what is moral and what is acceptable as alternative lifestyles and alternative forms of marriage
- Humility is the opposite. It is the impassioned desire to unite with God and our fellowman. To become one with something bigger than we are. Something which is bigger and more powerful than our weaknesses
- When God commands, the humble will listen, and change their lives to meet His demands of Christ.
- We must carry with us the spirit of the great hymn - Guide us O thou great Jehovah. Guide us to the promised land. We are weak, but thou art able. Hold us with thy powerful hand.
-
- Pride has been called the disease of the Nephites. Mormon said, “Behold the pride of this nation, or the people of the Nephites hath proven their destruction…beware of pride lest ye become as the Nephites.”
- If Pride is the disease that destroys us. Then humility is the saving balm. It was humility and willingness to do the Will of God which could always reverse the cycle of Nephite destruction.
-
5. Humility is our great protection from the ills of the world.
- When we are humble, we stay on the path leading to the fruit of the tree – we don’t stray. We don’t seek to find a path to the great and spacious building. We aren’t ashamed of the fruit once we partake of it…but seek to share it.
- When I was called as a Bishop, I entered the RS room where we had some 50 people there waiting for me to be set apart. President Nordfelt told me to not sit in the chair which had been folded on the wall. But I thought, oh, this is a good chance for me to show how smart I was, and so I unfolded the chair, and reset the chair. When I sat down – the chair collapsed. Pres N said “you’ll learn to listen to me.”
- Pride causes us to feel confident in the face of evil. It causes us to feel like we can handle temptation. It makes us feel like we won’t be hurt by the effects of sin.
- Pride cometh before the fall. Because we expose ourselves to darkness and temptations.
Ending
May each of us not be like Old Flick, and be forced to be humble…but let us seek to be humble so that we may be strong in doing the Lord’s work. May we not cover our weaknesses, but face them with faith that our Father will help us overcome them. May we humble ourselves to do that which we have covenanted with him to do. May we listen to his word which is mighty to save and always remember his Greatness and our own nothingness.
And as we do this, I testify as did King Benjamin to his people, that if we do this, we will always rejoice.
Optional Ending #2
How do we acquire it? How do we gain this great principle in our life which will help us be like Christ and will give us the strength we need to do the Lord’s will or to be protected from lives ills?
- 1. Hear the word of God.
o Delivering bread and crashed my bike
o What did you learn about in SS. Moses was a General w/ Tanks etc. If I told you what they told us, you'd never believe it.
o Elder Anderson called to Malaga – but went to Kansas, Prov 3:5 – lean not unto thine own understanding
o The Sons of Helaman said "We did not doubt, our mothers knew it." And I ask, where are the fathers? Then I figured it out. Many of the fathers - and mothers had died already. They had laid down in front of the lamanites to demonstrate their faith.
o
- 2. Experience affliction – war, thunderings, famine, pestilence
o Lighting a fire under old “Dick” the water horse
o Scripture – the lord speaks to us in lightning
o
- 3. We recognize greatness of God. We see attributes of God - justice, mercy, long-suffering
o I sat in meeting, and heard Bro Jester talk about the power of the Aaronic Priesthood. He told of ministering of angels…and on the front row sat a deacon and a teacher who were playing games.
o Grand Canyon – majesty of natural world. Yet people sat inside and ate their café meal.
o Powerful stories with heros
o Trees planted to make room for growth – now they are so huge
- 4. Realize our own weaknesses
o Dad with pres Kimball comb
o Elder Banks - his mother wanted him to sing at her funeral so people would know there was something worse than death
o Sue said that when she was going to give a talk as she left very nervous John said "don't try to be witty, or clever, or funny…. Just be yourself"
o
- 5. When we have a new calling, When we are released from a call we love
o Elder Condie – kill a goat to get the attention of the rest
o Elder Brough - when called as 70, was handed a note, Pres. Monson doesn't feel like speaking, you're up next
o People ask if I felt the mantle come upon me when I was set apart. I say - I didn't feel a heavy mantle. But I felt a light. I felt a very clarity which brought me joy. I could remember names something which had been withheld from me as a counselor. I felt a cleansing, and appetite for goodness for myself and the people. I am sure it was a change of heart. A literal change in my body. It was what the people of King Benjamin felt.
- 6. When we do things we’re asked to do which are not particularly hard in and of themselves, but week after week, month after month, day after day wear on us.
- You live 75 miles from one of the natural wonders of the world, and you've never been? I guess I can understand that, I live in Manhatten and have never been to the statue of liberty. The ym pumping gas said, "Oh I have been there."
Is my humble prayer.
Doctrines about humility
- Lord chooses the humble to do his work and to receive his blessings
- Humble person will receive wisdom and strength
- The lord answers prayers of the humble
- It is a necessary component of wisdom, strength
- It is an attribute of Christ towards his Father
- It is an attribute we must have towards Christ
- It is an attribute of one who has cast off the natural man
- It is a sign of one who yields to the enticings of the spirit
- It brings us to joy
- It keeps us on track – progressing instead of growing impatient
- Lord I would follow thee…Savior may I learn to love thee, walk the paths that thou hast shown. Cause to help and lift another, finding strength beyond my own.
- Who am I to judge another, when I walk imperfectly – in the quite heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can’t see.
- I would be my brother’s keeper, I would learn the healer’s art. In the wounded and the weary I would show a gentle heart.
- Savior may I love my brother, as I know thou lovest me. Find in thee my strength my beacon, for thy servant I would be.
6. The Lord will invite only the humble to join him in his kingdom.
o It was Christ who said “Blessed are the Meek for they shall inheret the earth”
- The love the savior has for the humble is best portrayed by the stories of the Savior with children.
o Matt 7:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest• in the kingdom of heaven? And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children•, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”
o How would you like to be that child? Or even his parents?
o Matt 11: Later the savior followed this up with his example. “Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them•.
o But Jesus said, Suffer• little children•, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
Some may ask why we commemorate the Prophet Joseph Smith and wonder if we worship Him. I think it’s worth mentioning that our love for the prophet is because we honor the work he did and sacrifices he made. We worship only the Savior and our Father in Heaven. We obey Christs commandments. But we honor and remember all who have given so much to us as a people– and especially the prophet Joseph Smith who gave his very live for this work of Salvation. It is with this spirit that we begin our celebrations.
o Life, Joy, and the plan is not about being better than, or faster than. It is about lifting and blessing others. Becoming one with.
o CS LEwis said – “It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition has gone, pride has gone.”
o I heard last Sunday a great statement. “Conceit is a peculiar disease. It makes everyone sick to their stomachs except the person who has it.” If truth were known, the person who is sickest is the one with pride…they just don’t know it yet. Pride goeth before the fall.
0 comments:
Post a Comment