Lighthouse

Thursday, April 17, 2008

What a wonderful blessing it is to be with you on this Sabbath day.


Remembrance
I'm grateful for the opportunity to take time to remember this anniversary with you.

The principle of Remembrance is so important in the gospel. It is one of the doctrines of salvation.

When we renew our covenants with Christ each week at the sacrament table, we promise to remember him always
Sacrament prayers

The scriptures have numerous places where the Lord commands us to remember
Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy
Remember to pray always
Remember the greatness of God and your own nothingness…
I have in my office a series of posters reminding me of the creation - it is here that I remember the greatness of God, and as I do my work, I can see the nothingness of the work I do.
It is an engine to humility before the lord.
Laman and Lemuel were sent on the journey with Nephi to stir him up to remembrance
Perhaps each of us have trials given to us, to stir us up to remembrance
Remembrance is to us, as roots are to a tree
Sacred memories feed our spirit. They give us the strength to stay faithful
Cumulative sacred remembrances over time have the effect of telling us who we really are, and what is our meaning and purpose in life
Remembrance is to us as living water is to a thirsty man
It refreshes us and gives us strength to move ahead
Journals, pictures, thoughts are the reservoirs which we use to keep us in remembrance
Hang pictures on the wall
Take Church music in the cars
Study scriptures daily
Listen to BYU TV to hear talks
Read church magazines
Write in journal thoughts, spiritual experiences

I am grateful for the many sacred experiences I've been able to have in my life, and I hold these experiences close to me. They humble me and help me seek to put God first in my life.


Lighthouse
On this Sunday, I wanted to take just a couple of minutes and talk about the name of this wonderful branch.

When we first considered the need to create our own hispanic speaking branch, we knew that you all already had a cool branch name - the Canela Tree branch…or the cinnammon tree. I asked President Nordgren where that branch name came from. And he said that it was the name of one of the streets near the building.

As we looked at the name of the branch, we didn't want to call it the 4000th West Branch. But we wanted to find a name which would speak to it's function, it's purpose, and one which people in the area would immediately relate to.

When we submitted the name "the lighthouse" the name was rejected because the brethren thought we were just waxing proverbial in our naming. However, when we resubmitted, explaining that this building actually has a lighthouse on it, and that indeed the stake center is most frequently refered to as the lighthouse church, they reconsidered and allowed us to name the branch.

What a wonderful name for a church. The Lighthouse.

A lighthouse is a device used to save ships and sailors. It is usually planted amidst craggy rocks in rough waters, to warn ships and sailors of impending danger. A strong beacon of light shines forth at all times to warn and protect.

I reminded of a story of a huge battleship at night which was plowing through unknown waters, when they noticed a ship ahead which was flashing a light at them. The communications officer of the huge battleship sent a message telling the other ship to get out of the way or risk getting run over. The message came back that the warship had to move. Angered, the communications officer got the admiral of the battleship involved. Furious, the admiral again told the other ship to move. Again the message returned was that he wouldn't be able to comply and that the warship had better move. The angry admiral said, "This is an admiral of a USS Warship we don't move for anybody - I am giving you one last warning - move, or be run over" The message that came back was sobering "This is a local city employee who keeps this lighthouse running and I am telling you, I am not moving anywhere. If you don't want to run aground, you'd better get turning."

Brothers and Sisters, that is what we are…a lighthouse. We are planted in the one immoveable truth of history - the atonement of Jesus Christ. And because it is the one truth that will never change, all other religions, all other public activities, all other media organizations will eventually bow before it and every knee will bend and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ.

We are the warning beacon. It is through the missionary work that we do in this branch that will save lives.

And just as a lighthouse is planted amidst craggy rocks in rough waters, so we are living amidst troubled times. There will be lots of challenges ahead. There will be lots of cause to warn and be warned of others.

May we all seek out the lights of the lighthouse of the gospel…so that we may guide our own steps away from danger. And as we do our missionary work, and as we live an exemplary life, may we be the light of the lighthouse which will protect and guide others to safety.

I express my love to each of you, and my sincere admiration for the work you have been able to accomplish during this year.

0 comments: