Hiking the path

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Seminary Graduation 2007

Talk: 5-10 minutes
To: Seminary Graduation
Date: May 20, 2007
Subject: Choose the Right

Brother Coleman
On behalf of the Salt Lake Jordan North Stake, I accept these seniors who have met the spiritual and academic qualifications necessary to receive a 4 year certificate of graduation or certificates of achievement for the 2006-2007 school year.

I also want to recognize those parents, grandparents and friends who helped encourage these young people to dedicate themselves to study the gospel in seminary and to live it’s precepts.

Brother Coleman, I want to honor you and the seminary program that you represent today. Your commitment to the gospel is so powerful, that every year countless lives are touched and changed.

But most of all I want to congratulate you Seniors. And pause for a moment to reflect on how great you really are.

You don't really know how significant this is…but you will.


As I think about you, I think of a journey. A long wonderful journey that is taking you back to our father in heaven. And at this time, as in many times in your future, you have come to a place where the road splits. And you must make a choice which path to take.

You can go left or you can go right. And only you can choose.

DID I EVER TELL YOU?
Dr. Seuss
Did I ever tell you about the young Zode
Who came to two signs at the fork of a road?
One said: To Place One, and the other: Place Two.
So the Zode had to make up his mind what to do.
Well . . . the Zode scratched his head. And his chin. And his pants
And he said to himself, “I’ll be taking a chance
If I go to Place One. Now, that place may be hot!
And, so how do I know if I’ll like it or not
On the other hand, though, I’ll be sort of a fool
If I go to Place Two and I find it too cool.
In that case I may catch a chill and turn blue!
So, maybe, Place One is the best, not Place Two.
On the other hand, though, If Place One is too high.
I may catch a terrible earache and die!
So Place Two may be best!
On the other hand, though. . . . .
What might happen to me if Place Two is too low. . . . . .?
I might get some very strange pain in my toe!
Then he stopped, and he said, “On the OTHER hand, though. . .
On the other hand . . . .other hand
. . . . .other hand though!
And for 36 hours and ½, that poor Zode
Made starts and stops at that fork in the road.
Saying, “Don’t take a chance. You may not be right.”
Then he got an idea that was wonderfully bright!
“Play safe!” cried the Zode. “I’ll play safe! I’m no dunce!
I’ll simply start off for both places at once!”
And that’s how the Zode, who would not take a chance,
Got to No place at All, with a split in his pants.

What is the meaning of this parable of the young Zode to you?
It’s all about showing you that you must take hold of the reins of your life and making the decisions for your life…

So what is this crossroad you have come to? You want to make the right choice. You somehow know that this is a critical time in your life, and yet you worry that maybe you'll make a wrong chocie. Let's look as far down the road as we can…cuz you don't want to make a mistake.

On the one hand is the path the world has created.
It's very well worn.
The path is lined with excitement and fun stimulation but behind it’s shadowy façade, it's also filled with addictions and people who are lost.
The path is lined with beautiful people and diversions but behind many of them are controlling people who will use that beauty to create slaves for their advantage and gain.
The path is filled with those who choose to live whatever alternative lifestyle they want, and declare themselves free. But behind these vocal folks, is the grief of people who find out years later that these lifestyles have filled them with selfishness and that their future looks dark, full of sorrow and shame. This worldly path may at first look fun, and exciting and full of freedom. But as you consume the stimulation you realize it doesn't last very long, and that it leaves you flat.


On the other side is the path that the Lord has created. Is not very well worn. And why?
This path is lined with challenges. It's filled with duties. It's looks like climbing and hard work. It's you can see that people on the path live with standards of how to dress and how to behave. It's filled with selflessness and doing what's good for others.
And while at first it may seem a little scary to accept these challenges, duties, standards, and work, as you climb the path, you quickly realize that something cool is happening. You're getting stronger, smarter, braver, better.
You find that the challenges become easier. That the duties become more meaningful. That the work becomes light.
You see that you are not only a consumer, but that you can also become a creator a builder, a climber.
You realize that people on this path have no use for dishonesty, for laziness, for looking cool on the outside while the inside is useless.
Of course, this path to outsiders may look hard or challenging, but as you climb, you feel growth, you feel strength, you feel more more and more useful…all the virtues that build a happy life, that build a strong character.
After a bit you realize your future is filled with joy, with gratitude, and with hope.

One of my favorite sentiments is this: We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are in reality spiritual beings, having a human experience.

Well on your climb up the mountain of the Lord, it’s easy to get confused. We may be on the trail of the world, but because on rare occasions we have a spiritual experience, we may reassure ourselves that we are the Lord’s path when in reality we are taking an easy road, and getting farther and farther from the path of happiness he intended. Whereas if we are on the Lord’s path, we will find challenges, work, and study around us, but we will have time for diversions and for fun as well.

How will you know which path you're on? The world’s path with some Spiritual encounters, or the Lord’s path with some worldy encounters? Here’s a few sign markers on the path that you can look for to help you decide…

You're on the Lord's path if you go to school and get an education. And while college may not be for everyone, everyone can work and sacrifice to get educated.
You're on the Lord's path if you go to YSA and institute activities and help lift and befriend others who may be lost or trying to find the path. Reach out to others and try to help them gain the blessings the Lord reserves for the righteous.
You're on the Lord's path if you prepare for a mission.
You're on the Lord's path if you live by the standards taught by For the Strength of Youth. Especially the dating standards.
You're on the Lord's path if you seek to make covenants with the Lord in his holy temple, and if you choose to find a spouse who has also made covenants, so that you can be sealed together and to the Lord.
You're on the Lord's path when you answer 'yes' to a Bishop's call to serve in the Ward.

I pray that at this critical junction in the road, you will not be like the young Zode, but that you will decide now that you will climb the path the Lord has prepared for those who love him. And that you'll build a strong foundation which will bless you, your future spouse, and your future families through the eternities.

I'll conclude with the words of President Gordon B Hinckley. Please imagine him here talking with you tonight.

A couple of years ago, the Prophet had this to say to our young women of the church, and I want to share it, as it also applies to the young men.

“You are the strength of the present, the hope of the future. You are the sum of all the generations that have gone before, the promise of all that will come hereafter.
You must know, as you've been told, that you are not alone in this world. There are hundreds of thousands of you. You live in many lands. You speak various languages. And every one of you has something divine within you.

You are second to none. You are children of God.

There has come to you as your birthright something beautiful and sacred and divine. Never forget that. Your Eternal Father is the great Master of the universe. He rules over all, but He also will listen to your prayers as His daughter/son and hear you as you speak with Him. He will answer your prayers. He will not leave you alone.

In my quiet moments, I think of the future with all of its wonderful possibilities and with all of its terrible temptations. I wonder what will happen to you in the next 10 years. Where will you be? What will you be doing? That will depend on the choices you make, some of which may seem unimportant at the time but which will have tremendous consequences.

Someone has said, "It may make a difference to all eternity whether we do right or wrong today" (James Freeman Clarke, in Elbert Hubbard's Scrap Book [1923], 95).
You have the potential to become anything to which you set your mind. You have a mind and a body and a spirit. With these three working together, you can walk the high road that leads to achievement and happiness. But this will require effort and sacrifice and faith.
Among other things, I must remind you that you must get all of the education that you possibly can. Life has become so complex and competitive. You cannot assume that you have entitlements due you. You will be expected to put forth great effort and to use your best talents to make your way to the most wonderful future of which you are capable. Occasionally, there will likely be serious disappointments. But there will be helping hands along the way, many such, to give you encouragement and strength to move forward”…
I pray that your lives will not be wasted but that they may be fruitful of great and everlasting good. The years will pass, and I will not be here to see what you have done with your lives. But there will be many others, oh so many others, who will be counting on you, whose very peace and happiness will depend upon what you do. And above them all will be your Father in Heaven, who will ever love you as His daughter. Pres Hinckley to the YW – April 2004


I have great hope for you, and expect to hear from your parents when you have achieved great milestones in your life – marriage, missions, degrees, callings, etc.

May you always seek first the kingdom of God, that your choices may be made easier, and your foot will always follow the path which God has prepared for you.

0 comments: