Capturing the spirit

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Stake Conference
Sept 7, 2003

Yesterday as we gathered in the Stake President’s office to begin stake conference, we kneeled down and the phone started to ring. While it rang, President Adams jokingly said, “Hey, I’ll bet it’s the prophet saying he is coming to our stake conference.” We all thought about that for a moment. Last month Pres Hinkley had visited a stake in riverton. Last year in the stake just west of ours (Granger South) President Hinkley dropped into their stake conference. A phone call announcing the prophet wasn’t altogether improbable. Which is why what happened next made me laugh. President Smith said, “don’t answer it.”

We did of course, and thank heaven, it was just Bishop Nielson saying he was on death’s door sick with strep throat and that he may not make it…to stake conference that is.

And I am just kidding about glad that BN was ill. We love him and hope he returns quickly. We would also have loved to have a visit from the prophet.

But we were relieved and saddened at the same time.

A visit from the prophet
What an amazing thing that would be to get a visit from the Prophet to our own Stake conference building. I heard that when the clerk was walking up to the Granger South stake center last year, that he had no idea that the prophet was inside, and it startled him to see people running out of the church people, running to their cars and driving away. Was there a gunman in the church? Was there a fire? What would cause people to run away? It was the prophet who had come to visit…and people wanted to call friends to come and see the prophet.

Wow. How scary would that be, to have the prophet drop in today? In one sense it would make my talk easier to give – because you could pretty well be assured that no one would remember a word I said. They would be waiting for the prophet. On the other hand, it would be scary to talk with the prophet sitting right behind you, because you’d feel this need to say every word perfectly.

A visit from the Lord
However, it occurred to me. In reality, we have someone even more important, even more wonderful than the prophet with us here today. And that is the Spirit of the Lord. He is mindful of each person here. He is listening to every word that we say – whether we are standing behind the podium, or in the farthest seat in the back. And He is going to speak to each of us today. Yet, what he says to you today, will be different than what he says to me. And just like if the prophet were here today, I suspect that what the Lord says to you, you will remember much longer than what I say to you.

We would like to honor and recognize the spirit that is here today, and thank God for it’s direction.

Think for a second about how the spirit speaks to us, and what does he say?

We’re told in the scriptures how the Spirit is speaking with us and what he tries to tell us. Elijah was told to go out and the Lord would speak to him. And the experience was described like this…

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still• small voice.
13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?.

What does his voice sound like?
His voice is not like a strong wind, or an earthquake or a fire. But as a still small voice. Other prophets also have described to us how we can know when the spirit speaks to us and the kinds of things he will say.:

Enos describes the spirit speaking to him as The voice of the Lord came into my mind, Enos 1: 10.
Moroni describes how we can discern between the voice of the Lord and the voice of the world, by teaching that Everything which inviteth and enticeth to do good is inspired of God, Moro. 7: 13-16.
We can tell when the spirit is speaking to us because we feel a strong feeling of peace…for as he said to Joesph Smith, Did I not speak peace to your mind? D&C 6: 23.
He also said to the Prophet, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, D&C 8: 2.
My Spirit shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy, D&C 11: 13.
John teaches us that The Holy Ghost will teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, John 14: 26. and that the Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth, John 16: 13.
Nephi said of his experience in retrieving the plates, “ I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do,” 1 Ne. 4: 6.

The still small voice whispers through and pierces all things, D&C 85: 6.

I love these desriptions of the spirit, in that it is still and small, it comes into our heart and enlightens our minds. It can pierce us to the core, and fill us with peace, and with joy. It teaches us and brings things to remembrance and teaches us truth. It constantly invites us to do good. And leads us to where we should be.

Perhaps my favorite example of the Lord speaking to us is when he appeared to the nephites in America –
3Ne8:20 And it came to pass that there was thick darkness upon all the face of the land, insomuch that the inhabitants thereof who had not fallen could feel• the vapor• of darkness;

21 And there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;

22 And there was not any light seen, neither fire, nor glimmer, neither the sun, nor the moon, nor the stars, for so great were the mists of darkness which were upon the face of the land.

23 And it came to pass that it did last for the space of three days that there was no light seen; and there was great mourning and howling• and weeping among all the people continually; yea, great were the groanings of the people, because of the darkness and the great destruction which had come upon them.

3, And it came to pass that while they were thus conversing one with another, they heard a voice• as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small• voice it did pierce• them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn.

4 And it came to pass that again they heard the voice, and they understood• it not.

5 And again the third time they did hear the voice, and did open• their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.

6 And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard; and it said unto them:

7 Behold my Beloved• Son, in• whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him

I love the description of how the people heard the voice which was so intense that it pierced them to the very center and caused them to quake. There have been many times in my life when I am listening to a speaker, usually president hinkley, when I am so touched with the spirit, that I weep, and my whole body is shaking from the intensity of the experience.

Another thing I love about this description, is that the voice was not heard until the people had suffered through 3 hours of earthquakes floods, fires and destruction and 3 days of darkness Only then were there hearts prepared to hear. When we are faced with great challenges, we too, are often as our best to hear what the Lord is saying.

Isn’t this why we Fast? So that in sacrifice, our spirits are more in tune with the spirit?


We live beneath our priviledges
We need to listen for the spirit speaking to us always. . Nephi taught this: “If ye will … receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do” (2 Ne. 32:5).
But to whom does the lord speak? Who gets this great priviledge? Lorenzo Snow said that it is the “grand privilege of every Latter-day Saint … to have the manifestations of the spirit every day of our lives … [so] that we may know the light, and not be groveling continually in the dark” (in Conference Report, April 1899, 52).
Sister Sheri Dew, former counselor in the General Relief Society presidenty said, “The Holy Ghost enlarges our minds, our hearts, and our understanding; helps us subdue weaknesses and resist temptation; inspires humility and repentance; guides and protects us in miraculous ways; and gifts us with wisdom, divine encouragement, peace of mind, a desire to change, and the ability to differentiate between the philosophies of men and revealed truth. The Holy Ghost is the minister and messenger of the Father and the Son, and He testifies of both Their glorious, global reality and Their connection to us personally. Without the presence of the Spirit, it is impossible to comprehend our personal mission or to have the reassurance that our course is right. No mortal comfort can duplicate that of the Comforter.
Said President Hinckley, “There is no greater blessing that can come into our lives than … the companionship of the Holy Spirit” (Boston Massachusetts Regional Conference, 22 Apr. 1995; emphasis added). And yet Brigham Young lamented: “[We] may have the Spirit of the Lord to … direct [us]. … I am satisfied, however, that, in this respect, we live far beneath our privileges” (Deseret News Semi-Weekly, 3 Dec. 1867, 2).
Sister Dew continued, “Is it possible that in this twilight season of the dispensation of the fulness of times, when Satan and his minions roam the earth inspiring deceit, discouragement, and despair, that we who have been armed with the most potent antidote on earth—the gift of the Holy Ghost—don’t always fully partake of that gift? Are we guilty of spiritually just “getting by” and not accessing the power and protection within our reach? Are we satisfied with far less than the Lord is willing to give us, essentially opting to go it alone here rather than partner with the Divine?”
I love that phrase she gives – “Are we guilty of spiritually just “getting by” and not accessing the power and protection within our reach?”

Capture the spiritual promptings
I want to ask you a question. Besides family members, what is the most valuable possession you have that you would take out of the house in case of a fire? My answer is my set of black books. I have with me a book (this is number 5) that I carry with me everywhere I go. It’s black, has a leather cover, and starts out with about 300 pages of blank paper. After 6 months, it is filled with my llegible handwriting. But it’s precious to me.

I carry it to church meetings. I have it with me during conference meetings. I take it to work. I have it in my car. I travel with it, and once left it on an airplane. When I got a call from the airline to come pick it up, they told me that I needed to have better handwriting so they could read it better. I told them that was my strategy. Many of you have seen me during a church meeting writing in it (when I’m not sleeping), and asked me, what I am I writing in that book?

Generally, I am writing the impressions of the spirit to me. Sometimes it is in alignment with what the speaker is talking about, but usually it is about some principle or concept that the speakers words causes me to think ponder, and which the spirit strengthens in my mind..

These impressions and spiritual insights are some of the most precious things I have in my life. I go back to my thought journal frequently for inspiration, and for help with the challenges that come to me in my life. When planning Stake Conference I refer to it, to see what inspirations had come to me through the 6 months. When writing letters to my missionary son, I review it for thoughts.

I was so impressed with Sister Kay Powell last night as she talked about how she deals with the trials in her life. And she said that she refers back to her journal frequently for strength.


I would hope that each of us would take the time, whenever we feel the spirit speak to us, whether in school, or at home, to recognize the inspiration and voice of the spirit, and then capture it somehow so that you can either act on it, or become motivated by it.


Example 1: Sometimes the promptings are very simple, and gentle thoughts. I was visiting last Wednesday night, and President Adams told me a simple event – his pumpkins were not producing this year. Too hot, and too dry. I wrote the following in my black book based on a thought that came to me…

President Adams grows pumpkins for his grandkids. He carves their names in it while it’s green and young, so when it’s done growing, the name shows through. This is a wonderful way for grandparents to be part of their kids lives. I need to make a list of other fun activities that grandparents can do for their kids. Let’s get on it Blaine and Kristi!

Example 2: Sometimes the promptings come as we consider problems that we face. In this example my father had passed away recently. This event has been devastating for me, but more especially for my mother, who now finds herself alone much of the time. In trying to help her cope, the following thought impressed my mind.

Be your own best friend. Most all of us will spend a lot of time in our life alone. As a child, a teen, a young single adult, an older single adult, after a spouse dies. In leadership positions. At work situations. In school and in tests. These are all times when you’re too loosely connected to others to feel happy and good. It sure helps if you like yourself. You can tell who you are by what you do when you are truly alone. Live so that you like yourself. We come into the world alone, and we struggle through illness, trials, and death alone. But we are never really alone. Our past lives with us. Our future lives with us as well. . Live well, so that your future self won’t have to say “If I’d have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.” The Lord is always with us. So be your own best friend by living well now, so that your future self will be proud to have known you

Example 3: Sometimes the impressions come in response to situations of moral choice. My wife and daughter went school shopping last week and were embarrassed when they went into Abercrombie and Fitch, and there were literally naked people hanging on the walls in larger than life posters. As they walked into the store two muscled people (boy and girl) with nearly nothing on welcomed them to the store. The sad thing is that the store was packed with people who were more interested in looking ‘cool’ than in being modest and supporting standards of modesty. The thought that came to me, and has come to me numerous times is this:

We need to honor our YM and YW as the greatest. Many of them feel ugly, or uncool, or alone. They don’t feel like they fit in with the world around them. In reality that’s good. But to them, many feel left out. They don’t dress like their immodest friends at school. So why do we honor our youth? Because the lord doesn’t care about money, clothes, coolness, or popularity. Think about his life. He had none of those things. Yet he was everything. What does he care about? He cares about covenant making, covenant keeping, obedience, purity, faithfulness, righteousness. Our kids my not fit into the world – but they fit perfectly into the plan of God, and he loves them. In fact, he loves them so much that he reveals himself to them. He blesses them with strong testimonies. He gives them the gospel. He plants them in homes where they can grow and then serve missions or raise families. These are his choicest children and we need to honor and love them.

Example 4: Sometimes the thoughts come at unexpected times. Once during Stake Conference when Elder Brough was here, I was so inspired by the vision of the work that he was teaching us. But then as we sang the closing hymn, the following thought came to me which I recorded.

It’s one thing to catch the vision of the work, and to be inspired by it’s grand purposes. It’s another thing to do as hymn 223 says “wake up, and do something more, than dream of your mansions above. Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.” Get more involved in doing – not just seeing the vision. Elder Brough said that prayer is not the words we speak, it is the lives we live. Our life is a prayer. Make it a prayer of action.

Example 5: And as a final example, sometimes deep doctrinal discourses will pour into your mind as you hear a simple phrase. Once I was sitting in a missionary report of Elder Rees, and he said something that really inspired me and pushed me to write the following thought which has helped me numerous times.

Elder Rees reported that he learned on his mission that “Repentance through faith in Christ” is the most important thing we can learn. It struck me so strongly. Thoughts just poured into my mind which I captured for nearly 20 minutes. It made me think of people with addictions who desperately wanted to change, but just didn’t have the powerm whose lives were spiraling out of control…until they finally put their faith in Christ. Once they did that – then for the first time, they had power to change.

Why is faith in Christ necessary for true repentance – for true change?

Faith causes us to believe that we can change
Faith causes us to believe he will forgive us
Faith causes us to believe that he loves us, and wants us close to him. That closeness is what’s needed to comfort us and strengthen us when temptation hits.
Faith causes us to think with an eternal mindset – I have to either change now or later, it’s worth the pain now.
Faith causes us to know that there are no real secrets. He sees everything we do, when we do it. That lack of privacy helps keep us on the right track.
Faith helps us know that we can be with family forever, if we shoot for it. And so change is worth it.
Faith helps us know, that if we try harder, we’ll feel love faster. Lord loves us regardless. But we don’t feel that love unless we work for it.
Faith helps us see God for the greatness that he is, and the smallness that we are. This understanding of his greatness and our smallness enables us to conform our will, our appetites to meet his – knowing with faith, that by turning ourselves over to him, he will make us better than we could ever be alone.
Faith that he is there, gives us power to resist temptation – we can get through anything.
Faith gives us peace knowing that we are not in charge. The Lord is in charge and we’re not able to fix all the problems. But we do need to follow the lord and fix what we can.


Brothers and Sisters. The spirit is here today. It teaches each of us the things we need to know. When we feel it, we feel filled with light and we don’t feel alone. When we don’t feel it, we feel alone even in a group of people.

This church is a church of revelation. Our challenge is not one of getting the Lord to speak to us. Our problem is hearing what he has to say. He has promised, “As often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instructions of my spirit.”

I know of our Father’s love for each of us. I testify that he does speak to us – he tries to give us peace, he speaks to our hearts and our minds, and if we will prepare our hearts and minds, he will pierce us with his Still Small Voice.


I love serving you and with you.

Amen.
When in Sunday school this last 6 months we studied the parable of the sower. For the first time I was fascinated with all the different ways in which the word can be taken from our hearts and the plant can be killed. The inspiration coming from that lesson has helped me. I wrote:

The parable of the sower teaches us the things which will kill our own personal growth in the gospel – watch for these things.

Disbelief
Disobedience
Distraction
Death
Laziness
Stupidity

When interviewing a new Bishop these last few months, I could help but be reminded of the whimsical but true thought that -

Bishops see the ward in a whole new light. Before being called they knew that there were probably 10% of the people in the ward had problems but they figured that 90% were doing okay. After being called, they realized that the numbers were reversed.

I was in a testimony meeting recently when someone told of some good that someone had done to help them in a moment of crisis. My heart was touched. I felt to write the following:

Some of the more noble among us are like Christ. Rather than looking for ways to lift ourselves, and make our lives more wonderful and comfortable, they like Christ are looking for ways to step down into a more painful perhaps dark place to help lift them out. These people may never hold prominent positions or drive big cars, but they bear fruit everyday from the people they help.

0 comments: