Metaphor ideas

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bike trip strategy
Create a highlights checklist which ranks difficulty, ranks beauty, gives travel times, distance etc.
Keep mind occupied with books on tape, photo ops, music, beaks, poems/scriptures

How the lord blesses us - Eve went to pasta factory to serve. She left her kids in charge of Holly. They looked and looked for her. She had wandered over to the Winder pool, taken off her clothes except her diaper, found a life preserver and then wandered over to the edge of the pool. Nate looked out and found her. He got her out of harm's way and called the family to come find her. Eve said, 'Why didn't the Lord bless me when I was serving him?' The answer is, he did bless you , he sent nate. Way to go Nate.

Reality out there, we may not be aware of…
- Those with new sight were afraid of things they could see, and which they now knew others could see, to which they were blind to before.
- Those with new hearing were delighted by what they heard. Sis Chellson - I can hear that, I heard that too…
- There is a reality out there that is not visible and which we can ignore, but which ultimately we will need to become awakened to.
- Doubting Thomas became aware of the reality of ressurrection
- Vision of Alma and Paul made them aware of a new reality
- Miracles happen around us everyday. Watch for them
- May we delight and honor these as sister chelson did

At Ted's Stake Conference - people came running out of the stake center got in cars and peeled out. I told this to Pres Smith just before we kneeled for prayer. Just then the phone rang. Pres Smith said - Don't answer it. It would be nice to have prophet at stake conference, take pressure off, no one would remember a word I said. But that is true anyway. HG is the spirit that teaches. And what he says goes.

Next year at Stake Conference we were kneeling to begin our stake conference. We had talked about Ted's story. Just as we knelt, the phone rang. I said, "Maybe it's President Hinckley, saying he's coming". President Smith said "Don't answer it"

Pres Adams gave temple recommend interviews on chairs that had been soaked earlier when the sprinkler's went out. He had a wet pants and had to go home to change.

VR Whitaker tells about experience in temple where he looked around chapel and found someone to be the head couple in temple, and they were the right people - had prayed for the opportunity. He was so excited to have been an instrument in the Lord's hands. It is exciting to be in the right place, right time, right spirit.

Dan Harmon told his mother in law in Boise that he couldn't come up for Confernece weekend because he had the job to setup the video and satellite hookup for priesthood meeting. Very important job, not every can do. She spokeup, 'That's funny because we have a retarded boy do it in our stake'. So Dan is now visiting his mother in law.

Last Sunday our microphone power went out. We scrambled to get it working to no avail. It was the Wynns that spoke. 4 precious girls and parents who spoke had memorized all their talks, but only a few could hear the talks. The interesting thing was that the Wynns truly had a cloud hanging over them. Their toilet was found leaking through the floor that morning and their car didn't work and they had to walk to church, about 5 other minor tragedies had occurred that morning. It was almost a sign up there that the Lord was thee - but he was not going to help them. It's funn how those things happen.


As I look at pictures on my slide viewer, it's not the experience I see, it is the principle of fun, of family, of pleasure, or faithufulness, or continuance which touches me. It is so inspiring to see the depth of our lives. I see principles of generosity of love of patience and kindness. I see endurance. And as I see people grow up and I see them living the same principles later in life, I see the enduring nature of the principles.


"I look forward to the time I can serve full time mission again, just like my parents" - Nate Nelson

"I'm glad I got to see the atonement take effect in so many people's lives. It inspires me to let it work in my life." Nate Nelson

Elder Wells (Area Authority during my mission in Paraguay) visited at a mission conference. He asked us as we came in to have the missionaries who had baptized in the last 3 months to sit in the middle, and all the missionaries who hadn't to sit on the sides. Then during his talk he said, "I want to show you a principle. I want all the missionaries who are doing their companionship study every day to stand up." Only those on the sides stood. Let me try this again, "All you who have studied the scriptures everyday to stand up." Again, only those on the sides stood. Finally he said, "Well this didn't prove any points, except to say that you elders who didn't stand - including you in the middle, need to repent and start obeying the rules."

I went to fireside in Florida. President Hinckley gave the 6 B's. Be clean. Be Honest. Be Smart. Etc.
I went directly from that fireside to a convention opener, where the speaker was talking about how the world is changing, and how if you want to win, you've got to stop looking to the educated brainiacs, but you've got to hire the freaks with punk hair and who can barely speak english. Ultimate success will be when freaks hire freaks and they creatively solve all the problems together. He said, it won't be the educated who make a differnce. The contrast between the two was interesting. A prophet of God said, be clean and educated. The other said, be grungy and freaky. I thought how important it is that we follow a prophet of God. For ultimately it is our education which will speak to our contribution.

What a joy to start my 45th birthday in the conference center for conference w/ my mom, wendy, and family. It is almost as good as being in the temple.

All rise as the prophet comes in. He is spry and happy as he comes in. All strain to see him. 23,000 are in their seats so that the meeting can start promptly at 10:00. This is why you get to a meeting early so you can feel the spirit as the attendance builds and you can feel the excitement and joy.

When we went on the bike ride, Bro Wessman (man of all wisdom) gave us each some wisdom. To me he said, "You should get a heart monitor so that you don't overdo it." To Brent he said "you ought to get something to keep your private parts clean and dry or he would have chaffing problems that he wouldn't want to deal with."

In Stake Presidency meeting we got ready to sing and Pres Nielsen saddled up next to Dan Harmon and said, Is this the baritone section? And Dan said, No this is the monotone section.

As Bishop, we were kneeling in Stake Council to pray. I was going to say the prayer. Just as all heads were bowed, and I was ready to start, I heard a door open, and I said "Hey, how ya doing? C'mon in." That really got some heads jerked up.

John Thomson lost his voice. At first it struck him how much your voice allows you to be a part of the world. But he learned that there are lots of voices he can continue to use to send his love to others… body language. Home décor (christmas, halloween), letters, emails, cards, but most important is the way you live your life. More than anything else it speaks to what you value.

Perhaps I got to stay in one place my adult life, because as a youth I moved a bit and got to feel the loneliness of not knowing anyone. Blessings that come to you as you stay in one place for 25 years. (you see with longer lenses)
- See kids grow up and have kids of their own (Ben C, Cables, Poulsons, Mike, Luekenga, Jolleys, Lindseys)
- See people go out of activity and back in again (Cables, Adams, Bowens, Mcallisters, Grays)
- See people have rough years and wonderful years (Kent & Sheri, Thomsons, Osbornes)
- See people endure trials and stay true (Thomsons, Brashers, Barneys, Harmons, Gibbons, Gallaghers, Jolley's)
- See people serve calls - some surprise you (Brooks, Thomsons, Christensen, Whitakers)
- See people serve others year after year (Tom Marion Wynn, Lynn Larson, Rasmussons, Nelsons)
- See true faithfulness not just showyness (Lynn Larson, Nelsons)
- See drama and how it unfolds (
- See true brotherhood develop (HP Quorum)

Lady in Oklaholma said to Elder Zoe Rolf - 'Everytime I pray to know more about Christ, you missionaries show up at my door." She finally put 2+2 together.

Lynn Chandler was a great example of service. He served in hospitals, temples, etc.

Kevin Wessman gave a great testimony where he thanked his family. I then thought about Sam's testimony, and every young man in the ward has a great family. Then it occurred to me that one of the things that youth need to hear is how much their family is loved and respected.

Steve Cable - We are only given as much as we can bear. He was talking about trials, but I think the same is true about Spiritual gifts. We are only given what we can handle spiritually, else we will be accountable for more than we can handle.

Thoughts about President Smith
- Elder Washburn (when he called Pres Smith) said - He was chosen. He was not the brightest or the smartest, or the best looking…but he was the one who was chosen. Humble, obedient, sought first to understand. At the risk of making this a wake here are some things about Pres Smith-
- He loved sailing
- He had me put my hand in a jar which you couldn't get out of with it closed…open it - let go.
- Rubber Band
- 5 minutes talks by Bishops
- Unanimous votes
- Singing in meetings
- Keys in chair
- Walk to meetings so wife could have car, didn't want to bother us
- Obey - sit up front even when he didn't want to
- Support for suggestions
- Knew everyone by name
- Big boy turns 2
- Always there, rarely asked us to cover for him so he could do work or personal
- Girls camp had bishop yorg run through the trees
- Went through job change (all3 of us)

Thoughts about Pres Adams
- Old guy was in great shape and looked like a million bucks
- Speak like yoda during stake conference
- Common theme was - Be grateful to be a member of the church
- Budget controller
- Golf
- Knew everyone by name and their ancestors
- Always there w/ PRes Smith - best of friends
- Good man - always consistent
- Ball fo twine at girls camp - asked girls name, something about em.

Blaine was a missionary. He felt sorry for himself on his birthday (no gifts, no baptisms). He prayed for support from the Lord. He came back from some work, and had an overwhelming feeling of gratitude. He still didn't have any gifts, he still didn't have any baptisms, but he had received a great blessing of joy and gratitude. That was the gift. He felt like he had been given the greatest gift of all. That's why Christ can live out amongst the people with no home, because the Father gave him the spirit of joy and of being home.

There is a real time. It's called the atomic time. It's broadcast out of Colorado. Although thousands, probably millions of clock's are operating, only a few are completely line up to the real time. And for the most part we're all pretty darn close, but sometime you get out of synch. On one occasion I was at a conference in Florida. I left me room at about 7pm to go to an event, and another man came out of his room. He asked me what time it was. I said, 7pm. He said, is that am or pm?

I walked to Choir at Philmont with Brad. As we visited we talked about how much divorice there is in the world. We talked about how little commitment there is towards marriage. Then the director stood up in front of us, and before he started warming us up, he told about how much he loved his wife. He told us about her, and how talented and wonderful she is. But because she is with the kids, he is able to serve us as director. W/o her he could be who he is. I felt it like a thousand hot pads… I couldn't be who I am, if Wendy wasn't who she is. That is the attitude we all need to have about our spouses.

I sang in the choir at philmont for my dad. When he was here in 1979 he joined the choir. But he sang next to someone who told him, that he should probably sing quieter. He never sang in a choir again. Of course, from what I could tell, Dad didn't feel bad. He suspected as much, but needed someone to tell him to keep it quiet.

Rapelling - sara jolley story

Lori Thornton went upside down when repelling blind on the mountain

Janey said, 'I wouldn't do that again' after doing the philmont hike. But after the initial pain wears off, there was so much they learned, that she would do it again in a heartbeat.

Rich Winder said after coming home from being president of Checoslovakia "You couldn't pay me enough money to do that job" But he would do it to show lord he loved him.

I had to correct Pres Barnson when I was Bishop and he was in the Stake Presidency. It was ward conf and he and the rest of the stake presidency were blessing the sacrament. He messed up and I was terrivied to correct him, but I did.

Bruce had stake president visiting when he was Bishop. The new priests hadn't noticed that the bread was not ready to be broken. Counselor (conducting meeting) ran out to find some bread. When they finished singing hymn, Bruce said 'we'll go on with the meeting'. 'Bishop, I have some bread.' 'It's a miracle, bring it up.' Her son long hair, no tie, brought it forward like it was religious artifact. Bread was semi-frozen fruit cake. The priests broke it into cupcake size pieces. Stk Pres was still chewing bread when water came.

Prayer is your love (soul sincere desire). Family prayer is where they can see your loves.

0 comments: