Thursday, April 17, 2008
The Five Congregations
10/26/97
As Bishop of the Jordan North 2nd ward I’ve found that there isn’t just one ward that I am working with…but there are 5 different congregations. There are…
Those who are suffering who need comfort and peace…
Those who are sinful and not ready to change, who need to to be shaken a bit and called to repentance
Those who doubt but come out to church because of tradition or other lesser reasons who need a strong spiritual experience
Those who think ‘all is well in Zion’ who need a kick in the behind to remind them that there is danger out there and too many are falling because of our own inaction.
Those who are humble, working hard, who know the Lord and are serving him as best they know how.
The tricky thing is that they all sit together in the same Chapel, and so it’s hard to figure out who is in which congregation. Sometimes people are in one congregation on one Sunday, and in a different congregation the next. Sometimes one person is in more than one congregation at a time. It gets confusing. Frequently I find myself hearing a talk or a lesson and thinking - Oh, this is such a good message for this congregation, but I sure hope that this other congregation doesn’t end up feeling more guilty and offended by what is being said.’ For example, sometimes someone will preach a wonderful sermon about repentance. I then anticipate that those who need repentance will be shaken a bit….but I also anticipate those who are suffering to feel even guiltier that they don’t have their lives together in some kind of ideallic perfection.
I’ve often wondered what the church would be like if instead of breaking people into groups by age, sex, and class… we broke them into congregations. All the people who are suffering from trials who need to be comforted - go into Reta Bevan’s class in the cultural hall. All the people who need to repent, go into Bishop Brasher’s motivating class in the primary room. All the doubters - go to the Relief Society room for a stirring class from Brother Cannon. Those who feel ‘all is well’ need to go to the nursery room where the problems from the other classes will be discussed. And finally all the humble hard-workers need to split up so they can all go teach these classes. Wouldn’t that be a great thing?
But I guess the Lord in his wisdom has placed us in a world, where we listen to messages which are built for all congregations…so we can learn from others needs, and so we can help meet their needs, while at the same time dealing with our own.
It’s probably no surprise to anyone that I’ll soon be a Bishop that was, and so I’d like to send one message to each of these congregations before I turn the newsletter over to the next Bishop;
“Sufferers”… you are not alone. In our 2 block by 2 block area, we have seen so much pain and suffering. And I have seen time and time again, the Lord touch lives in miraculous ways. Reach out for love, and within our ward you will find it. The Lord has not caused the pain, but he has promised to ease it’s burden, if we will turn to him and learn from him. As he told Joseph, ‘all these things will give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.’ The Lord loves you and will comfort you.
“Sinners”…. Repent now, change now, turn from dark to light now. There are many amongst us who are struggling with unwanted passions, and troublesome habits. There are many who commit sins and never quite get them resolved. By not repenting, we only hurt ourself - and no one else. You keep yourself from feeling the great happiness that comes from being right with the Lord. Everyone who I work with who repents says the same thing - I wish I hadn’t waited so long…I should have done this months/years ago… The Lord loves you and will forgive you.
“Doubters”…doubt not, but be believing. The gospel is true. It really is. It’s beautiful garment is being put on, and the world is just beginning to see it’s splendor, but only beginning. The longer you sit on the fence waiting for the Lord to reveal his face to you, the more precious time you waste. My guess is that the Lord has revealed his face to you in the past, and you’ve felt the burning of his spirit in your breast. But somehow, you’ve forgotten to remember. Remember, remember, remember. The Lord has made promises to you, and he will not break those promises.
“All is wellers”…awake, and arise. The enemy is alive, and is working overtime to capture the hearts and minds of our children, our neighbors, and even our most valiant brothers and sisters. Complacency allows the enemy to cause us to look to worldly appetites for stimulation…to think that good is evil and evil is good. Desire is something which the enemy is educating amongst us and our children. The Lord loves you but he has a mission for you to fill, and he will use you if you’ll get engaged.
Finally, to the humble and hard-working. I have nothing to say. You are blessed beyond measure. You know your status before God, and he fills your soul with Delight. I pray that your joy will set a light to all those with whom you come in contact.
The transition to a new Bishop will be harder for me than it will be for you. Not that I won’t support the new Bishop… but see, you’ll get other Bishops - some much greater than I. But you’re probably the only ward I’ll ever get. I am grateful to you for the love you’ve shown, the great faithfulness you’ve given to one another. I have learned much more from serving you, than you can possibly imagine.
May the Lord bless us all, as we continue our service together, for the benefit of the entire ward.
Love,
Bishop Bret Bassett
0 comments:
Post a Comment