Monday, September 14, 2009
Meetings are a blessing in our lives
Today is Stake Conference
A Brief History
I don't know how many of you remember the days when SC was held 4 times a year. In Kansas City we would drive to church. There would be a morning session, a break, and then an afternoon session. And you went to both sessions.
The relief society made money in those days selling sack lunches to members who didn't want to drive home and back again. And since we lived about 30 minutes away we would always stay and support the Relief Society.
I can remember one Stake Conference Sunday between sessions when my family was sitting at the long tables having lunch with our little sacks. Everyone was dressed in their Sunday best. People quitely visiting with each other. When suddenly my little sister, probably only about 3 or 4 suddenly shouted the infamous words from the movie "My Fair Lady" where Henry Higgins realizes that he actually is in love with Eliza, and he shouts "Darn, Darn, Darn, Darn…I've grown accustomed to her face." Except the word wasn't Darn, it wasn't even Dang. It was the bad one. And my little sister had heard it 100x on the record player at home. Why she decided that that very moment was the prize time to shout out her obscenities, I don't think we'll ever know. But everyone sitting around us stopped talking, and looked at the Bassetts. Wondering what kind of home must we be growing up in. As an 8 or 9 year old, I felt like I was going to die a thousand deaths…but we survived.
I look back at church in my childhood in Kansas with fondness. Those were wonderful times. I can remember the spirit we felt as we finished another set of meetings, and headed home. We spent the long drive home talking about what we had learned. And so we felt the spirit at church, and again, all the way home.
Of course I was a typical child and so sometimes I struggled with reverence. My Dad was always on the stand serving in one calling or another, and so my mom wrangled all 7 of us kids alone. We sat near the front row, and if we talked, or giggled in a way that would be disruptive, she would indicate with her fingers how many spankings we could count on when we got home. If we had only been bad to the count of 2 or 3, we considered ourselves pretty good and mom would usually forget she owed us, and we wouldn't get any spankings. But…if we were bad to the count of 4 or 5, we could pretty well count on lining up outside her bedroom door, and getting a spanking. Of course, it never occurred to us, that we had the power ourselves to keep quiet our own little bodies quiet, and thus avoid our punishment. We just knew we had it coming if it got too bad.
Why share this?
Because looking back, I remember the meetings I went to as a child with fondness.
• I don't necessarily remember great spiritual experiences in my younger days, but I do remember the sweetness of the meetings, and the influence they had in my young life.
• As I grew, my ability to feel the spirit in the meetings also grew. When someone would bear testimony, I could feel something touch me. When I'd go to a meeting where there was a strong spirit, I could feel it.
• During my mission I started having some remarkable spiritual experiences, and so to capture them, I started making notes in a journal to help me remember some of the stories, or thoughts, of spiritual stirrings that I heard each day.
• As a Bishop, I began taking a notebook with me to meetings I attended. If something was said that touched my spirit, I'd jot It down. Sometimes those things came from the speaker, sometimes they came as inspirational thoughts, but in all cases they come by the spirit.
• Now at nearly every meeting I attend, I feel powerful feelings as I listen to speakers, or during the sacrament. And I write them down. Last nights Conference session with the adults was a great example. It was a feast of the spirit that was so rich, I was so overwhelmed by the spirit, I was in tears most of the meeting. I came away rejoicing. I felt the spirit of the lord so powerfully that I couldn't deny the gospel.
This ability to feel the spirit in the testimonies of others grows in each of us as we prepare ourselves to be taught..
In DC46 the Lord teaches us about gifts of the spirit.
11 For all have not every agift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.
12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.
13 To some it is given by the aHoly Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.
14 To others it is given to abelieve on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.
While I have been given a blessing to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God by the power of the HG, I think one of the greatest gifts has been to be able to believe on the words of others. Whether I am listening to the testimony of the apostles and prophets at general conference, or whether I am listing to our testimonies in sacrament meetings, I am often moved to tears and believe strongly that the Lord is helping build us as a people, when I hear the testimonies born by you my brothers and sisters. This gift has blessed me during my life, and I have felt it best when I am in meetings.
And so one message I hope to convey to the children and the youth today, is that this ability to feel the spirit and the ability to know that the gospel is true just by listening when others speak or bear their testimony, grows as you grow. Don't look for grand glorious visitations to tell you the gospel is true. Look for small witnesses in every meeting you attend.
Don't be impatient to know, but recognize week after week, month after month, year after year, that your testimony is growing as you hear the testimonies of others.
I think it's important that we understand that this gift to believe on the words of others, isn't something that just happens by itself. But is a gift we can develop, something that we can prepare ourselves for, and to work for. We can prepare ourselves to be taught, and to feel the spirit, as surely as we can prepare ourselves to play sports, or to run a race.
We can create the fertile environment in our lives, where we are open for the spirit to touch us and testify to us.
I read a great quote recently from Roger Merrill...
"I would ask you to think about...your own ability to have great spiritual experiences as you attend a class or a sacrament meeting on Sunday. What is your role in creating the environment in which the Spirit can teach you the things you need to know? If you find a Church class or a sacrament meeting boring, does that say more about the teacher—or about you?"
The quote continues, "Consider the response of President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) when someone once asked him, “What do you do if you find yourself caught in a boring sacrament meeting?” President Kimball thought a moment, then replied, “I don’t know; I’ve never been in one.” With his long years of Church experience, President Kimball had undoubtedly been to many meetings where people had read their talks, spoken in a monotone, or given travelogues instead of teaching doctrine. But most likely, President Kimball was teaching that he did not go to sacrament meeting to be entertained; he went to worship the Lord, renew his covenants, and be taught from on high. If he attended with an open heart, a desire to be “nourished by the good word of God” (Moroni 6:4), and a prayer—rather than judgment—for the speakers, the Spirit would teach him what he needed to do to be a more effective and faithful disciple.
Here are several things we can do to ensure that our meetings are not a burden, but a joy and a blessing in our lives.
1. Come all the way into the meeting
I overheard a mother last Sunday in a teenage teaching moment say to her son - …"but what good is it for you to be in the building, if you're not going to go into the meetings?"
Now if that isn't profound statement, I don't know what is. 'what good is it for you to be in the building if you're not going to be in the meetings?"
This isn't just a teenage issue. Many of us adults don't understand the principle either.
Some will get all dressed up, walk to the building, sit in a pew and then move from class to class and not listen, or sing, or pray, or read scripture, or talk to anybody before they head home again. This can be a boring, lonely, hard way to attend church. No wonder testimonies die, or people drift away from activity.
Some will come, and once kids are tucked away in the classes will just hang out in the hallways visiting with friends, and never go to class. And while this is better than the first scenario, it's not a lot better because the person 'hanging out' often pulls other people away from their classes as well.
Some will take kids out in the foyer, and never return...
So again, if you're going to come to the building, why not come all the way to church, and get involved in the meetings themselves. Why not come to church with full purpose of heart. Dress up. Come 10-15 mins early. Sit reverently. Sing the hymns. Listen to prelude music. Greet new comers. Greet old timers. Use the fountains and the restroom between meetings so you don't have to go in and out creating distractions as you go. In classes and quorums, volunteer to respond to assignments, make comments, read scriptures or read from the manuals. There is so much more to coming to church, than coming to the building.
Come even if you have a hard time getting all the way into the meetings.
Now having said that, I hope no one of us is judgmental of anyone who has come to the church but who may not feel comfortable participating fully. My heavens, they are in the building, and miracles happen every Sunday when people have enough courage just to enter the building.
I am so impressed with people who are just coming back to church for the first time. What a scary thing that must be. I have heard so many times how amazed they feel that the building didn't collapse when they entered.
I am also so impressed with the commitment of mothers and fathers who have small children as they pass them back and forth, trying to keep the children quiet so those around them can listen. I've been there, and I remember how tough it was to get ANYTHING out of church meetings.
I also recognize that there are some who are in church meetings only because of the peer pressure, or I guess you could call it parental pressure or spouse pressure, that they be in meetings each Sunday. They almost don't want to get involved and listen because they don't want to give their parents the satisfaction. But even these reluctant souls are here and can be touched deeply, just by being here - Story is told in the August New Era of a young woman who was drifting fast because she was caught up with friends at school who were into some bad stuff. But she came, and came, and came to church anyway. One Sunday a new teacher in YW taught the lesson. And a miracle happened. The content of the lesson was not new. The doctrine was not new. But there was something that Sunday which caused the spirit to rifle into her soul. This YW was so moved, that everything good that has happened to her since, she attributes to the fact that she was there in the building and the spirit could touch her heart.
So I will never judge anyone who is in the building as to whether they are getting all they can from the meeting. I just pray that all are getting all they can, and trust that miracles are happening.
2. Go with the intent to hear something true, not something new
A few years ago, a boy in the 2nd Ward Primary blurted out something that has stuck with me. A member of the bishopric was reminding them of their yearly 'theme', and he must have kind of talked a little long…cuz the little boy spoke up and said "Yeah, Yeah, we get it already".
Sometimes people come to church and listen only to hear if there is something new being taught. It's like they have a "new Doctrine" filter, and they set it to "high". They sit there letting the talks and the lessons drone on and on, waiting to see if there will be anything NEW taught which they haven't already heard. But I can tell you, after 10 or 20 or 50 years of being members of the church and going to church meetings, these 4 generation saints could go weeks, or months or years before they hear something that is technically NEW.
IF we come just to learn something new, then you can't help but be bored at church, cuz you'll feel like the little primary boy most of the time - Yeah, Yeah, I get it already.
But if we come with the desire to worship, to renew covenants AND to be taught something true, then we will never be bored. It doesn't matter if you've heard a doctrine 1,000 times, if it is a TRUE DOCTRINE the spirit will testify to it, and you'll get a feeling of quiet piece and joy in your heart. When you develop a desire to feel that spirit testify to your heart of truth, you come to church looking afresh for true doctrine which allows the spirit to testify and causes our hearts to souls come alive with knowledge that the spirit is present with us, and is actively testifying of the truth of the doctrines taught.
A person so focused is never bored, but always alert.
A note to all who instruct in meetings. For this reason we ask you to teach the content in the manual. Too often teachers feel the need to 'teach something new' just to stimulate their classmembers to listen. I promise you if you'll gain a testimony of the things you're teaching, and then teach it with your testimony, the spirit would testify to open hearts that it's true.
3. Come to Serve others
I love this quote given by Elder Oaks in General Conference, "Each of us should apply the principle of losing our lives in service to others, to our attitudes in attending church. Some say “I didn’t learn anything today” or “No one was friendly to me” or “I was offended” or “The Church is not filling my needs.” All those answers are self-centered, and all retard spiritual growth.
In contrast, a wise friend wrote:
“Years ago, I changed my attitude about going to church. No longer do I go to church for my sake, but to think of others. I make a point of saying hello to people who sit alone, to welcome visitors, . . . to volunteer for an assignment. . . .
“In short, I go to church each week with the intent of being active, not passive, and making a positive difference in people’s lives. Consequently, my attendance at Church meetings is so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.”
All of this illustrates the eternal principle that we are happier and more fulfilled when we act and serve for what we give, not for what we get."
We should consider going to mutual, not for our own entertainment, but to help lift others.
We should consider going to YSA activities not because we believe that Mr. Right, or Mrs. Right will be there and we'll fall in love and get married. No, rather we will be most blest if we go with the intention of helping others find the Savior, and that by actively participating we help them see how it is possible.
Simple things can make a big difference, a big spiritual difference in our own and other's Church going experience.
4. Write down inspiration that comes
Another way to help make meetings more meaningful was explained by President Henry B Eyring.
Elder Henry B. Eyring told of a time when he attended church with his father and listened to what for young Henry had been a "dull talk." As they walked home, he was trying to think of a way to ask his father why he had been "beaming" during the boring meeting.
"I finally got up enough courage to ask him what he thought of the meeting. He said it was wonderful... He said: 'Hal, let me tell you something. Since I was a very young man, I have taught myself to do something in a church meeting. When the speaker begins, I listen carefully and ask myself what it is he is trying to say. Then, once I think I know what he is trying to accomplish, I give myself a sermon on that subject.' He let that sink in for a moment as we walked along. Then with that special self-depreciating chuckle of his, he said, 'Hal, since then I have never been to a bad meeting'" (To Draw Closer to God [Desert Book: Salt Lake City, 1997], 23)
I have had people ask me about the black notebooks I carry with me to church meetings. In church meetings I listen for spiritual promptings, and I jot them down. Sometimes they are things said by the speaker. Sometimes they have nothing to do with what the speaker said, but have something to do what the spirit has said. Frequently as the presiding officer in a meeting, when I feel like the program may have been underscheduled, and think there might be a chance that I may need to speak extemporaneously, then I start listening to the spirit to know what I might share with the congregation if called upon.
And so like Elder Eyring's father, I've learned that writing a talk during Sacrament meeting is a very inspiring way to listen to speakers. Any who will take notes of inspiring thoughts that come to them, will receive more thoughts and will remember those thoughts for a longer time.
5. Prepare for the Sabbath
We can begin our sabbath day better if we plan to get everything done prior to Sunday that is possible. In this way we're not doing everything at the last minute. In this way we might be able to carry with us a stronger spirit, one that's less distracted by concerns at home, and carry that into our sabbath day and into our meetings. I think of the song we used to sing in primary when I was a child:
Saturday is a special day.
It’s the day we get ready for Sunday:
We clean the house, and we shop at the store,
So we won’t have to work until Monday.
We brush our clothes, and we shine our shoes,
And we call it our get-the-work-done day.
Then we trim our nails, and we shampoo our hair,
So we can be ready for Sunday!
If we prepare ourselves and get ready for Sunday, our meetings will be far more spiritually fulfilling. If we do our part, we may not be entertained socially but we will be entertained spiritually.
(16 mins)
6. Come to church with the intent to become one with our Father in Heaven and with each other. To have a unity of the faith.
How do church meetings help us become one? Let's look at each part of a meeting and see what we can gain from it.
○ Announcements, Business is shared - these help us know what is happening in the ward and who is called to serve us…by sustaining others, we show that we support our leaders and we love one another.
○ Ordinances are performed - Ordinances include the sacrament, baby blessings, and confirmations. These ordinances allow us to get acquainted with new members who were recently baptized and to celebrate with those who just received new babies. They enable us to renew sacred covenants of Baptism with our Father in Heaven. In all cases, we get to witness the power of the preisthood in our meetings which allows us to both reflect on the eternal nature of our covenants, and simultaneously on the fact that these boys and men, neighbors or relatives, are worthy of serving the lord.
○ Doctrines are taught - Teachers, our neighbors, teach doctrine which causes our testimonies to grow. They help us develop our perspectives, and gain added appreciation for the doctrines of the church. They help us better understand the greatness of God and our own nothingness. They help us find our place in the kingdom, and see the glory of God. Knowing that our neighbors have this knowledge and testimony, gives us happiness to live amongst them and learn from them.
○ Testimonies are born - When we bear testimony, our spirit is strengthened, and our sins are forgiven us. When we hear others bear testimony, and we sense the tenderness of their spirits and the strength of their conviction, we feel a greater sense of the glory of God amongst us, and temptation seems far away. We can feel the strength the power of joy and optimism of those around us - and we don't have to feel alone in our testimony, but bathe in the knowledge that we are surrounded by believers.
○ While we are in church meetings there is a spirit of calm, of peace. There is no ugliness to fight only spirit of holiness.
○ And then what a great opportunitiy it is to be asked by the presiding officer to be able to participate directly in a meeting. By making that sacrifice, we grow, and our own testimonies are strengthened.
Let me conclude with a couple of quick thoughts on Meetings.
• There is a difference between meetings of worship, and meetings of administration. I love the thought "It has to be a pretty good meeting to beat no meeting at all." I've even said this on numerous occassions. But this thought is not geared at meetings of worship. Because every worship meeting can be a pretty good meeting if we will come and be prepared to listen for truth.
• Meetings aren't the whole purpose of the Gospel.
○ Much of the real work of the gospel happens outside of meetings. One on one, as we visit, share testimonies, and serve others more directly than we do in meetings.
○ But we should never underestimate the power of bringing saints together. "Where ever two or more are gathered in my name, there will I be also"
○ Meetings give us a regular structured time each week when we can gather in his name, worship, serve, and learn together. This is powerful.
• A recent editorial in the paper complained about Church meetings saying "Why go to church meetings? I've heard 1,000 sermons taught, and can't remember a single talk given…"
○ One of the great responses was when a reader said "Why eat a meal? My wife has fed me 1,000 meals, and I can't remember a single meal given…"
○ Meetings are not meant to be experiences which change your life and which you will never forget.
○ Rather meetings are meant as weekly food for the spirit. You come, you get nourished and replenished, you go home, and you reenter the world. But you have stronger resolve and can deal with problems in your life more effectively.
• Meetings, are an important part of our spiritual immune system. Like the physical body which has a powerful immune system which is constantly fighting foreign and destructive germs and virus's which attempt to enter our bodies, the spirit is also constantly trying to fight the evil thoughts and evil influences which are seeking to enter and destroy our spirits. Meetings, as well as bearing testimonies, sacrificing to speak in church or teach a lesson, all help strengthen your spiritual immune system. Meetings provide strength and protection which we may not even recognize as we come and go.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Let us go to Church as prepared learners and students. Let us go to Church to uplift and to serve others. Let us prepare ourselves for the special and sacred sabbath day.
If we do, church meetings will give us strength and immunity to live in a sick world, and make us better people.
I express my appreciation to the Bishops in this Stake who dedicate so much time ensuring that our sacrament meetings are well prepared, organized, with spiritual speakers, and with the sacrament ready to go. This is not an afterthought, but is a primary concern so that all who attend are edified and taught of Christ.
I appreciate all who teach, prepare music, conduct meetings, perform ordinances in our church meetings. They help make me a better person and help strengthen my testimony each week.
May all of us be so blessed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
0 comments:
Post a Comment